Friday 31 January 2014

JN thoughts

"To speak your mind is LIBERATING!!"

There is no right or wrong really, nothing is wrong or right!!

Brings me back to a memory of when I was in kindergarten class and given the task of coloring a Valentines Day card for my mother. As a kid I wasn't very good at coloring and started coloring in picture of the red heart. I scribbled back and forth slow at first but then faster and faster until I realized I had gone way outside the lines.

I stopped and looked at it and thought to myself, what am I going to do? Im too afraid to ask for another one in front of all my peers(failure), I don't want to hand this one in(look stupid), or I could try something else and do it MY way( WTF??)

I then thought to myself that Valentines Day was all about Red hearts and reasoned to myself that MY card would be totally RED. I colored the whole thing RED.

If you must ask, I was questioned by the teacher if I was being a jokester by coloring the card all red. My school mates said I couldn't color ("stay within the lines") and didn't fit in. And for the next year and a half, I sat outside the kindergarten circle every morning when they did the headcount because I felt I didn't fit in.

(Doing your thing) Speaking your mind is just like coloring within or without the lines and have many things in common. Some people speak in or outside of their lines. Some people are bolder than others. I have not at this point figured out MY lines so I am still standing still.

No comments:

Post a Comment